Saturday, September 27, 2008

NEED, GREED, Pain in the ASS!

How many times have you been burnt by the annoying little game mechanic called 'Need, Greed, Pass' (NGP)? It's been one too many for me and frankly I'm pissed off. Back in the days when I played WoW, there was nothing worse than having some idiot clicking need on a item that they couldn't even use. Especially when I had been grinding for over a month to get the item. Unfortunately WAR has copied the NGP mechanic over from WoW and now I have to deal with it all over again!!!

NGP is a great example of bad game design. It relies on the trust and competency of gamers not to abuse it in order for it to function as intended. Works okay if you know the people you are playing with, but not so much in PUG groups. Did someone say 'open grouping'? Oh gee.. whoops.. I really hope Mythic saw that coming...

Until Mythic fix or remove NGP I will be joining the every growing group of people abusing this mechanic by always clicking 'Need'. Now why would I join the people I hate so much? Many reasons:
  1. No items I have encountered in WAR so far are 'bind on pickup', which means even if I can't use the item, I can sell it on Auction House and make money from it.
  2. Items I can't sell on Auction House can always be used for Magical Salvaging.
  3. There is a chance that I can give the item to an alternate character.
  4. In RvR or scenarios, I don't have time to determine if I need an item when I've got 3 Chaos Marauders on my ass. Pfft - 'Need'.
  5. If everyone clicks 'Need' then everyone has an equal and fair chance of getting the item.
  6. The more a broken mechanic is abused, the more chance there is of it being fixed.
Honestly, I don't care if the carebears hate me, they should be blaming Mythic for coping a mechanic without putting prior thought into what affect it would have in their new 'open grouping' dynamic.

5 comments:

Elementalistly said...

Yea...I did a "Lets all roll greed" deal with my party in LOTRO once, and that was the beginning of the end of a 3 year friendship with one guy my wife and I had gamed with.
He kept hitting Need by accident (he says) but the 4 th time we were like...dude...chill.

From that point on we found the best way to avoid it is for everyone to NEED. Tell that to the group immediately, and life is grand.

Stupid system anyways.

Now when I game with my wife, I always pass...easy (and makes my evenings more pleasurable...hehe)

mbp said...

Although I haven't played WAR I had a very similar reaction when LOTRO introduced a Need before greed system. With decision boxes flashing up in the midst of combat the only rational response was to press need on everything. If someone sees something they really need let the m ask for it later and I would happily hand it over.

Melf_Himself said...

I really hate how the boxes come up in combat. And the entire system is just asking for trouble. I agree, they should just assign drops to people randomly as if everyone had hit need.

Crimson Starfire said...

@openedge
I've heard stories about people being booted from guilds after 2 years because they accidentally clicked the 'Need' button. Such a bad game design.

Lol @ always passing to your wife. I bet it would make your evenings more pleasurable ;)

@mbp
If anyone ever pm'd me in the game because I won item that I didn't actually need but they did, I wouldn't hesitate to hand it over (assuming they asked nicely). It's a bad idea having any kind of dialogue box pop up during PvP or combat. It could mean the difference between life or death for your char.

Crimson Starfire said...

I don't believe it! Tobold has once again beaten me to a post. The guy can preempt what I'm thinking. Here is the link to his article:

Bind on need

It's possible that given the difference in time zones, I may have posted before him. In my defense, I only read Tobold's article this evening.