*boss walk in*
Boss: "Public Quests are the new rave Crimson. I want you to add them to our MMO, but do a better job than our competition... your ass is on the line!!"
Me: "Yes Mr. Boss sir..."
*scrambles for design pad and epic pen of inspiration*
What is a public quest?
A public quest is an open world event with a trigger, where one or more players can participate to gain phat lewtz. Problems with existing implementation are:
- Can feel repetitive and grindy
- Difficulty doesn't scale
- Requires other people to be in the area (static locations)
- Don't always get desired reward
- Contribution is difficult to measure
- Event always plays out the same
- Only one public quest is active at one time per main map
- Have it occur at a random location on the map each time. The mini map could flash the location of where it is starting
- NPCs in the area react and interact with the PQ when it starts (i.e. villagers run form a dragon or try to slay it)
- Difficulty scales with the amount of people involved
- Players are rewarded for early participation
- Reward system based on 'PQ tokens', which can be exchanged for items
- Have other players control the giant monster(s) involved in the PQ. They have objectives to complete, and boundaries etc. If the objectives are successfully completed (i.e. burn village), they get rewarded
- Have quests spawn from the aftermath of a public quest. For example, players can help to put out fires and rebuild a village that has been burned by collecting wood/stone etc...
- Make the PQ move around the map until players complete it
*boss walks in*
Boss: "Where are my ideas Crimson?"
Me: "Ahh... ummm... I suggest we copy WAR's implementation of PQs, but we make the bad guys more cartoony with huge shoulder pads like in WoW?"
Boss: "I love it!!! Crimson, you have lead designer written all over you! Good work!"
Sad but true...