Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Been watching Carnivale

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, I've been watching Season 1 and 2 of Carnivale. With the MMO world being in somewhat of a state of flux at the moment, I thought it would be a good time to earn some brownie points with the girlfriend in preparation for the launch of WAR.

For those who haven't seen Carnivale, I highly recommend doing so, it was one of the best TV series I have ever seen. When my girlfriend first told me about it I was very skeptic and convinced that it definitely wasn't up my alley, but I was wrong... very wrong.

The series is set in the US during the Great Depression (a nice change from my usual sci-fi) and explores the concept of good and evil via walking avatars of God and the Devil. The story is based on a combination of Christian theology, gnosticism and Masonic lore (the Knights Templar). Very very cool...

Worth a watch if you haven't seen it already.

4 comments:

Elementalistly said...

I have NOT seen this, and it has been on my list.
Right now we are running the X-Files mythology series to prep for the movie (no, will not see in theater, but will buy for home to complete my collection)
But, I think I know what will be next for us.
(PS: My wife PLAYS the games...you gotta get yours involved.,..hehe)

Cheers

Crimson Starfire said...

I love the X-Files. At the moment you can buy the box sets for $25 AU each. I've got season 1 - 3 but need to get the rest.

Openedge1 said: "My wife PLAYS the games...you gotta get yours involved.,..hehe"

Lol - damn you, I've been trying for years. It's like some kind of mathematical algorithm I can't solve.

A while back we spent a year in different states, during which she signed up to WoW. She didn't even tell me she signed up and had started playing. It was her first time ever playing an MMO game (or any other excluding solitaire).

When I found out, I re-activated my WoW account and joined her in game. Shortly after she canceled her account because she felt that I had ruined the experience by 'rushing' her through the game and giving her advice on how to play. It wasn't until this point that I realized that she was completely right. I'm a perfectionist and like to 'run' through my MMOs. She's just wanted to 'walk' and enjoy the experience. It was my mistake that caused her first gaming experienced to be ruined, and I would give anything to take it back. If I ever manage to get her interested in an MMO again, I will definitely be taking a back seat approach and letting her play at her own pace. It will take a lot of encouragement and brownie points to get her interested in gaming again, but I haven't lost hope ;)

Elementalistly said...

The new "secret" game for RPG?

Puzzle Quest.

Show her how "battles" can be fun, but with casual style gaming like Bejeweled.

Then bring her into Guild Wars. That is the one my wife totally hooked on, and now that we are back in that game, she could not be happier..

Oh...and let HER lead..(works wonders)

Crimson Starfire said...

That's good advice. Will give it a go.

Cheers.