Saturday, October 31, 2009

Left 4 Dead 2 Demo thoughts

The demo has gone live for those that pre-ordered the game. I am... almost never one to pre-order games, but when it comes to Valve I just have to slap the money down.

Good thoughts:

a) The melee weapons are both hilarious and awesome. There is a guitar, a machete and a frying pan in the demo. The machete is close enough to being a katana if you squint a little.

b) I was worried that I would miss the old characters, but the new ones seem just as endearing. I like running around with a southern USA accent.

c) The new special infected are cool. There's a 'jockey' that jumps on your back, a 'charger' who is like a mini tank, and a 'spitter' who coats the ground in acid (this last will be especially appreciated against teams that camp a corner in versus matches).

Bad thoughts:

a) Day time is not as scary as night time

b) Some graphics-related performance issues. The game regularly freezes up for 5-10 seconds using the same settings I play Left 4 Dead 1 with. I'm sure these will be patched.

c) The censored Australian version is laughably light on the gore. When the corpses hit the floor they just fade from sight. This makes me a sad panda.

So overall I am pleased, but I hope there are more dark areas in the full version and I hope there is some dodgy way to obtain un-neutered carnage (anybody heard of one?).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The demo is great, I agree with everything you said, right down to the 5 second hitching.

The charger, jockey and spitter really mix up game play. I died in a pile of spit in my first session, not realizing I was standing in it.

Now we have to be aware of standing in spit, line of site of chargers, and how close a jockey is getting. Versus play should be fun.

Crimson Starfire said...

Anything that valve make is always top shelf material. I'm a little hesitant to buy L4D2 just yet. I played a lot of L4D and pretty much got my zombie killing fix. Given that the Oz version is badly censored, I'm not so keen. I might wait for Valve's renowned reduced price weekend sales.